It’s time for 10 Questions with Mercy Ships rehab team leader Allan Kent! This is how Allan brings hope and healing to the people of Senegal.
1. How long have you been serving with Mercy Ships? I served last year in Guinea for a few months. Now I’m here again serving for the full service in Senegal.
2. When you’re not serving with Mercy Ships, what do you do back in Australia? I work in a busy private practice treating musculoskeletal and sports injuries.
3. Why do you love serving with Mercy Ships? What is there not to love? I get to serve people who desperately need help, with the skills and knowledge I’ve been blessed to receive for God’s glory.
4. What do the people of Senegal mean to you? “Teranga” is the Wolof word for hospitality. The Senegal culture prides itself on its hospitality. Never have I experienced, such warm, kind and generous hospitality.
5. What’s your favourite thing about waking up each day onboard the ship? Meeting with my team from around the world, especially the local day crew and praying and praising God before we begin our day.
6. What one thing has surprised you the most about serving with Mercy Ships? Just how BIG this organization is. It’s mind blowing thinking people are working all over the world to help run this ship.
7. Which on board tradition do you love the most? The waffles are amazing. But the nightly games nights are always so much fun to meet people and have a great time. I got to know so many great games such as family business and the good old Spartacus.
8. What has living on board a ship with 400 other people taught you? The importance of balance! You just want to do everything, all the time! But it was important to take some time to relax and unwind. The pool definitely helps with that.
9. Tell us one thing that you wish that you’d known before joining Mercy Ships. Don’t try to do EVERYTHING! Haha! There is literally something to do almost every day! It’s what makes this place amazing, but makes it hard if you suffer from FOMO!
10. What would you tell someone who’s thinking of joining Mercy Ships? Just do it! What are you waiting for?
Join Allan on board the Mercy Ship at mercyships.org.au/volunteer