This is an unpaid volunteer role on board the Africa Mercy or Global Mercy, hospital ships serving those in need in sub-Saharan Africa by providing free, life-saving surgeries and strengthening health care systems.
We are always trying to make improvements to the ships and they occasionally need repairs and some attention.
The Carpenter is responsible for assisting in general repair and renovation of ship spaces and equipment. Working out of a dedicated workshop, the Carpenters respond to work requests as well as tasks assigned by the Chief Officer, primarily working on safety issues, and occasionally working on special projects bringing a lot of job satisfaction!
- Experience as a finish carpenter, general carpenter, or handyman work
- Experience in the use of various carpentry/power tools
- Certificate of Proficiency in accordance with STCW VI/1 Basic Training (training may be provided)
- Certificate of Proficiency in accordance with STCW VI/6-1 Security Awareness (training may be provided)
- Ability to effectively understand and communicate in clear English