Operating Theatre Nurse
This is an unpaid volunteer role on board the Africa Mercy or Global Mercy, hospital ships serving those in need in sub-Saharan Africa by providing free, life-saving surgeries and strengthening health care systems.
Cares for scheduled surgical patients coming from the ward to the operating room, going through the intraoperative phase of their hospital stay. The Operating Room Nurse will be expected to circulate, scrub, possibly assist the surgeon at times and maintain accurate written operating room documentation. This is an on-ship position and requires participation in an on-call schedule requires participation in an on-call schedule.
The Operating Room Nurse volunteer position, part of the Operating Room Department, will be located on the Africa Mercy or Global Mercy, the world’s largest non-governmental hospital ships. The preferred minimum time commitment for this role is two weeks.
- Current active license as a Registered Nurse with the ability to both scrub and circulate is required
- Recent Operating Room experience of at least two years full time or three years part time in the past five years AND at the point of application can show working in an
- Operating Room setting within the past 12 months
- Current Basic Life Support certification is required; ACLS (Advanced Cardiac Life Support) and PALS (Paediatric Advanced Life Support) are optional
- Written and oral fluency in English is required