This is an unpaid volunteer role on board the Africa Mercy or Global Mercy, hospital ships serving those in need in sub-Saharan Africa by providing free, life-saving surgeries and strengthening health care systems.
The PACU Nurse provides total patient care for inpatient surgical patients both adult and paediatric. Specialties include maxillofacial, plastic reconstructive, general, ENT, ophthalmic, vesicovaginal fistula repair, & orthopaedic surgery.
The PACU Nurse volunteer position, part of the Hospital, will be located on the Africa Mercy or Global Mercy, the world’s largest non-governmental hospital ships. The preferred minimum time commitment for this role is two weeks.
- Current, active license as a Registered Nurse (or International Equivalent)
- Minimum 2 years’ experience following licensure, within a Post Anaesthesia Care Unit nursing position preferred
- Recent PACU experience of at least two years full time or three years part time in the past 5 years, and at the point of application, can show working in a PACU setting within the past 12 months
- Current Basic Life Support certification (Advanced Cardiac Life Support and Paediatric Advanced Life Support are optional)
- Physical Assessment Skills and familiarity with non-invasive monitoring, ECG
- Fluency in English
- Flexibility and sensitivity to language and cultural diversity